Water Efficient Building Certification 2013

PUB recognised 23 recipients in the Industry, Building and School sectors for their exemplary performance in water efficiency. The WEB Certification, which began in 2004, has now added two new tiers of certification: the Gold and Silver Categories. Three organisations received the Gold and 20 took the Silver Certification. The certifications are valid for a period of 3 years.

Bagging the Gold Certification in the Industry Sector are Systems on Silicon Manufacturing Company Pte Ltd (SSMC) and Philips Lumileds Singapore. For the Building Sector, the Environment Building was certified. These are also the pioneer batch of organisations which have been certified to Singapore Standard SS 577:2012 Water Efficiency Management Systems (WEMS), jointly launched this March by the Singapore Standards Council, which is managed under the aegis of SPRING Singapore, and PUB.

Recipients under the Silver Category have also shown much commitment by putting in place monitoring systems to track and minimise water wastage and leakage.

Background

Through the Four National Taps (local catchment water, imported water, highly-purified reclaimed water known as NEWater, and desalinated water), PUB has put in place a robust and sustainable water supply for Singapore. However, installing the infrastructure to supply water is only one half of the equation. As the population and economy continue to grow, Singapore needs to ensure that the demand for water does not rise at an unsustainable rate.
Currently, Singapore’s water demand is currently about 400 million gallons a day (mgd), with domestic water consumption accounting for about 45% of total water use, and non-domestic consumption accounting for the remaining 55%. By 2060, total demand could almost double, with 70% coming from the non-domestic sector.
PUB has successfully reduced the per capita domestic water consumption from 165 litres per day in 2003 to 152 litres per day in 2012. PUB targets to further reduce per capita domestic water consumption to 147 litres per day by 2020 and 140 litres per day by 2030.

https://www.pub.gov.sg/savewater



Related Posts

Leave a Reply